Monday, June 13, 2005

Money Quote

Bob Herbert on the Army, "frantically searching for solutions," ie., boots to fill its ranks, and the enlistments bonuses worth up to $40,000:

There's something frankly embarrassing about a government offering trinkets to children to persuade them to go off and fight - and perhaps die - in a war that their nation should never have started in the first place.

Like I wrote to ScottL (blonde nod to you!), were I Bob's editor, I might have suggested "frightening," for "embarrassing" but now that I've thought about it, "Disgusting" works too.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Jeff Huber said...

hmm...

I might have used "shameful," "lewd," or even "pedophilic."

I've lost my puppy dog, little boy, won't you help me find him?

Jeff

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Drunken Proletariat said...

There is also something embarassing about the fact that millions of Bush votin' Republican supporters are not signing up - by the million. If this war is such a good idea, a noble cause for Freedom, etc. etc; why are not Bush's rabid supporters leading by example??? It's making the news that support for Bush is going right down the fucking toilet as well as is military recruitment. A nationwide opinion poll revealed that more Canadians fear George Bush than Terrorism itself. That's no surprise.
The vast majority of people in the world, both "Free," and not-so-"Free," are of similar mind.
How do I know this?
I watch the news and read the newspapers...
Just not the American ones.

BTW; Thank Fucking Christ for the Internet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home