Friday, June 03, 2005

Better Strong and Wrong than Weak and Right?

On my way to work this morning I heard something on the local FM radio station that I hadn't ever heard before -- no, no, not decent music -- Neil doesn't get much radio play these days -- what I heard was a word so unsettling, a word coming from such an unlikely source -- two white-bread radio jocks with the emotional depth of gold fish -- that for a moment I thought I was hearing things; did Jeff and Jeff really say what I think they said? Did Jeff and Jeff say the word so politically incorrect that to mention it in certain company sends that certain company into simultaneous fits of rage and despair? Did Jeff and Jeff say the word "Draft?" As in Military Draft?

Yes.

Yes they fucking did.

So shocked was I about these two normally silly shallow morning show jocks launching into a political rant about the possibility of the Draft coming to town that I about pulled my zippy li'l red Z-3 to the side of road in a screeching halt just so I could sit dumbfounded, contemplating what my ears had heard.

Hell had frozen over.

For the first time since the US invaded Iraq, the radio show's news segment not only included news about the war, a subject previously taboo, but also the possibility of a Draft.

Now, you and I dear reader know how messed up Iraq is, how the military isn't meeting its recruiting goals, how there's always been this looming threat of a Draft, 1) because there's a bill already on the books and people in place to begin the process, and 2) because we're INFORMED. But the masses, the people who *gasp* don't mainline political crack like we do, are somewhat blissfully unaware of current events. Yes, they know things aren't going well over there, but they trust that their Preznit knows what he's doing and dangit, there's light at the end of the tunnel, freedom's on the march, purple fingers of democracy are pointing skyward, and Dick Cheney, VP of all VPs, sez the insurgency is in its last thoes.

So I get to work and fire up the PC and there, all over the Internets, the Draft is being discussed, here and here and here and here:
In this atmosphere of suspicion, the Selective Service System, the Rosslyn-based agency that conscripted 1.8 million Americans during the Vietnam War and 10 million in World War II, quietly pursues its delicate dual mission: keeping the draft machinery ready, without sparking fear that it is coming back.

"We're told not to do a particular thing but to be prepared to do it," said Dan Amon, a spokesman for the Selective Service, which last year registered about 15.6 million young men between the draft-eligible ages of 18 and 25. "We just continue to carry out our mission as mandated by Congress."

My cyberpal Tas wrote recently that if the "draft is introduced, that will be the death knell for this war and the Republican agenda."

Would it? I wonder. Would a military Draft unite red states and blue states into purple states, would Americans of all class status rise up in the streets and advance on the White House like villagers storming Dr. Frankenstein's castle?

Honestly, I don't know. I'd like to think a Draft would wake that 51% of Americans who voted Bush from their neo-con pixy-dust slumber and see the rat bastards in the White House for what they really are, rat bastards, but my faith in that 51% of Americans is shot to shit.

I just hope it isn't their kids who end up like my faith in their parents.

6 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Jeff Huber said...

Cap,

I think that if that really happens, the civil war in Iraq won't be the only civil war we'll have to worry about.

Jeff

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Jeff Huber said...

And, oh...

Look for the Bush twins to become flight attendants with the Air National Guard.

Jeff

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Musmanno said...

Your cyberpal Tas is right :)

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger tas said...

Of course I'm right. I'm always right, goddamnit. ;>

But, seriously... My reasoning for that comment is using the Vietnam war as an example. I wasn't alive during that era, but from what I studied about it, there were some smatterings of people angry about the war before the draft was instated. But after kids were getting drafted, it meant that anyone was fair game to get drafted and go into a war zone. This is bound to place fear into the hearts of everybody in America... Students and young people facing the draft, their parents and grandparents.

Right now, this war isn't touching the upper class families, and even most middle class ones. It's just not effecting them. Most people in America are not personally affected by this war, and while people are generally disgruntled with it, this is the reason why we haven't seen mass protests yet. The draft, however, would personalize the war and drop it extremely close to home for everybody. And if that happens, the college campuses will explode, and this Iraq debacle will blow up in the Republicans collective face.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Capitola said...

I know you're right, tas, it's just a Catch 22, you know? A part of me wants the Draft for the very reason you mention, but the other part of me, the raging leftie elitist commie part, can't IMAGINE conscription -- not for this war, not for Iraq, not after Viet Nam and 4 Dead in Ohio.

I think Team Bush will let the country bleed until they're out of office. A Draft *would* crush their party -- they know it -- and there is no "solution" to the mess they've made. The clean up will be done by the Demacrats -- as usual.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Highbrow said...

That quote actually reminds me of another quote I've heard before:

"better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven"

Bush for Dark Lord 2008!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home