Tuesday, May 17, 2005

More Like This. PLEASE

British Parliament member George Galloway gives great smackdown! Some highlights:
He called the accusations against him "a pack of lies."

"I am not now or ever been an oil trader and neither has anyone on my behalf. I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one, and neither has anybody on my behalf," Galloway said.

[snip]

"Now, I know that standards have slipped over the last few years in Washington, but for a lawyer, you're remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice," he told Coleman. [ed note: that'd be Republican Norm Coleman]

[snip]

He said he had met with Saddam twice -- "exactly as many times as Donald Rumsfeld has met with him."

"The difference is Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and give him maps," Galloway said in a heated opening statement.

"I met him to try and bring about an end to sanctions, suffering and war, and on the second occasion, I met him to try and persuade him to allow Hans Blix and U.N. inspectors back into country."

[snip]

"You have my name on lists provided to you by the Dopher inquiry, provided to him by the convicted bank robber and fraudster and con man Ahmed Chalabi, who many people, to their credit, in your country now realize played a decisive role in leading your country into the disaster in Iraq," Galloway said in a heated opening statement to a Senate panel investigating the charges.

[snip]

"In these circumstances, knowing what the world knows about how you treat prisoners in Abu Ghraib prison, in Bagram Air Base, in Guantanamo Bay -- including, if I may say, British citizens being held in those places -- I'm not sure how much credibility anyone would put on anything you manage to get from a prisoner in those circumstances," he said.

Damn! That felt so good to read I think I need a cigarette.

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Musmanno said...

I saw portions of the statement, and then read the excerpts. He basically made the Senators look like fools, and deservedly so. This man's name has been trashed (here in the States and no doubt in Britain as well) based on less than what Newsweek had to go on when it reported the Koran/toilet incident.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Capitola said...

I WISH I could have seen any of it -- daily grind and all that shit.

But!

I did read the transcript and man, was it something. You're right, the Senators did look like fools, especially Norm Coleman, who was smacked-down pretty good on Real Time last Friday.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home