Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Things That Make You Want To Scream

War Room highlights Liberal Oasis' Frist smackdown. See, the good Mr. Scher was "appalled" watching Doctor Mengele, er, the Doctor/Senate Majority Leader "hemming and hawing" when that pundit who doesn't age asked if HIV could be spread through tears and sweat. George S. was referring, of course, to that Federally-funded misinformation campaign commonly known as Bush's Abstinence Program and currently the hot topic on the Hill and here and here and many other places I'm too lazy to link.

"STEPHANOPOULOS: Now you're a doctor. Do you believe that tears and sweat can transmit HIV?
FRIST: I don't know. I can tell you --
STEPHANOPOULOS: You don’t know?
FRIST: I can tell you things like, like --
STEPHANOPOULOS: Wait. Let me stop you there. You don't know that, you believe that tears and sweat might be able to transmit AIDS?
FRIST: Yeah, no, I can tell you that HIV is not very transmissible as an element, like compared to smallpox, compared to the flu, it's not.
(snip)
STEPHANOPOULOS: ...Let me just clear this up though, do you or do you not believe that tears and sweat can transmit HIV?
FRIST: It would be very hard...for tears and sweat to -- I mean, you can get virus in tears and sweat. But in terms of the degree of infecting somebody, it would be very hard."

There's morals for ya: Politics ahead of medical knowledge. Fuck responsibility as a physician! Patient, heal thyself.

Apparently, my standards are too high for my public servants. Maddening, that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home