Thursday, November 04, 2004

Old Man River

Well, shit. Kerry didn't win, but all is not lost. The good news is Bush has no one left to blame for his mistakes; he broke the nation, he owns it; the bad news is -- and we elitist morally-out-of-touch liberals know this to be true -- that the bad will only get worse.

Red State Americans are like alcoholics, without the booze. They're drunk with ignorance and will never seek recovery until they hit rock bottom. Those 59 million people are in denial. They haven't suffered enough. They voted against their better interests and won't start healing until they're broke -- emotionally and financially -- eating cat food, and their sons and daughters have been conscripted.

Was I disappointed by the loss. Fuck yes. Was I angry? You betcha. Did I cry? A damn river. Over the last two days I've experienced every emotion available to me: dispair, disbelief, rage, revenge, resignation, empowerment. That's right, I feel empowered by Bush's win. Sure, the democrats were decapitated, but we're insurgents now. We're the rebel base, with nowhere to go but onward.

Over all, nothing's changed. Bush is still in power. Bush is still a liar. The evangelical right are still freaks of nature. Will the media turn on Bush? I think so. Can't think of a two-term President whose second term (Ike?) wasn't disasterous. I look forward to blogging Bush's failings.

Yesterday, standing on the corner of Powell and Geary in San Francisco was a black man dressed in a white tuxedo with tails and wearing a top hat that he tipped to me as I dropped a fin in his cup. He was signing Old Man River acapella, deep and low and mesmerizingly slow like the late great Sam Cook, smiling at the stoney-faced passersby, telling all to buck up, all was not lost, to keep rolling along:
You and me, we sweat and strain
Body all aching and racked with pain
Towed that bargem lift the bail

You heard the man; chin up little soldiers. Keep rolling along.

4 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Rudolf said...

It's too bad Kerry conceded. But, seeing as how the Democrats and Republicans differ only slight on many issues, we would have gained very little if Kerry won. The problem with the Independant parties are that people feel they can't win. The elections in the US should be more like Canada, where even the New Democratic Party and the Parti Quebecois can get at least 1 seat.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Capitola said...

Hi John--

I know what you mean, about Kerry conceeding. He promised he'd stay and fight until the last vote was counted. He didn't. Flip flop.

But you know what? Now that I've gotten over the trauma of knowing Bush is in for four more years -- unless he's taken down by scandal -- I'm okay with the outcome. Sure, I'd have preferred a Kerry vicotry, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Now, I'm looking forward to day after day of bad news because Bush has no one to blame it on. It's his fish. Rotting from the head down.

Onward, my friend!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Poor_Statue said...

Well said.

I'm also quite happy that Bush now has to deal with his own mess.

My only worry is the Supreme Court, but as an idealist, I believe good will prevail.

Here's to keeping up the fight.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Drunken Proletariat said...

Hello Hello Hello! 85% of the people in the world fear and despise Bush and his administration. I just read an article in the local newspaper on this today. The whole world wanted to see him go, and go down in flames. Now the rest of the world must anticipate what horrors now await. BTW, what "scandal" could be worse than misleading the nation into war-crimes? Anyways, there is only 1,458 days left of this administration. You could drink a lot of Zindfandel in that time, Cap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home