Friday, July 30, 2004

America Will Do Better

After watching the DNC on C-Span these past four days, I gotta say that I'm finally convinced the Dems are going to take back the White House. Some folks are saying that Edwards' speech night before last wasn't the Edwards they'd seen on the stump over the past few months, that he didn't have the same passion, didn't get the crowd roarin'. Well, ya know what? He did exactly what the Number 2 man was supposed to do. Deliver the message, not outshine Number 1, and go after the swing voters. Finally, a Mission Accomplished that's true!

Last night, John Kerry rocked the Fleet. He was impassioned, forceful, and in 45 minutes or so laid waste to Team Bush. Al implores us:


All the way back to Texas! Posted by Hello


Too many great lines in Kerry's speech to list them all, but here are few of my favorites:

"I'm John Kerry and I'm reporting for duty."

"I defended this country as a young man, and I will defend it as president."

"Saying there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq doesn't make it so. Saying we can fight a war on the cheap doesn't make it so. And proclaiming mission accomplished certainly doesn't make it so."

"To all who serve in our armed forces today, I say, help is on the way."

YT sez, HURRY UP, NOVEMBER!


4 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Drunken Proletariat said...

I watched the DNC every night and there were many fine speeches. The only weak point that I saw was J. Lieberman, who said a lot of silly, dumb shit. What is he some-kinda Repuglican? I'm glad to see that your so optimistic. I am not. There's still that matter of the 50% of Americans who don't read. I plunge into a lot of Kerry-hatin', Bush-lovin', Democrat loathin', Left-wing-conspiracy-thinkin' sites, and believe me, the 50% that don't read are the ones that support monkey-boy, but-you already knew that. Still, it was hard not to be encouraged by the many noble thoughts and words expressed these last few days, a welcome change from the politics of hate, constantly vomited out from the "dark side."

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Capitola said...

Hi, DP--

Did you catch the DNC on C-Span or similar Canadian news channel?

Our news media -- left and right -- are still repeating the line that Americans 'still don't know John Kerry' and wonder why -- how about because the blathering idiots aka US media carried only 1 hour of the convention a night!

Yeah, the 50% of this country...what can be written or said about them that you didn't nail? The only consolation is that for the most part, these people don't vote. I have friends of friends who are fervent Bush supporters (ask them why and they can't tell you but they're sure he's better than that 'liberal') who have NEVER voted and don't plan on doing so this year. All blow and no go...which is good for us!

Glad you caught the DNC coverage. Wish you could vote! Did you see Al Sharpton? I missed him. Was stuck in traffic. I have seen the red-meat news clips -- riding the donkey etc., -- but would've liked to have seen it real-time.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Drunken Proletariat said...

I watched the DNC on PBS Newshour with that McNeil fella. They had a lot of coverage and analysis. Yes, I did see "Big Al" Sharpton, and he impressed! I'd never really heard him before. He came across as if he were Eddie Murphy doing an impression of a fiery black preacher-man, but what he said was very hard hitting, and on the mark. But by all accounts, Kerry, Clinton, Carter, etc. were oustanding, and the knuckle-draggers are on the way out, at least most of the world so hopes.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Drunken Proletariat said...

Oh, and one more thing...you alluded to the low voter turnout. I've never understood why people are so proudly ignorant of politics, chuckling that they know nothing of politics, and that they never vote, for whatever lame-brained excuses they tend to believe in. During our election this summer, it was pointed out on the national news that each time you vote, you exercise more political power than 99% of human beings have ever had, in all of human history, in all societies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home