Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Rust White and Blue

Rustie Michael Thomas was privileged to attend Neil Young's screening of F/911 last night at the Guild in LA. Lucky!!!! He writes:
I have just returned from one of the most powerful evenings of my life, watching “Fahrenheit 9/11” at the Directors’ Guild Theatre. It was introduced by Neil Young who was responsible for its screening as “artist in residence”. His anthem “Rockin’ in the Free World” was used as the film's closer and I must say I've never been prouder to be a fan of Neil Young’s music than I was tonight.

I'm misty eyed over here!
I talked at length with David Crosby and Stephen Stills and briefly with Neil. He introduced the film by saying he hoped it would be “a signpost back to America” and then read a telegram from Michael Moore who was in Washington DC showing the film to members of Congress. The film is a scathing indictment of the Bush administration, to put it mildly, and I asked Croz afterwards if he thought it could affect the election.

“Absolutely”, he replied, “The Republicans are scared of this movie. That's why they're doing everything they can to prevent it its release. If these guys get re-elected and they re-institute the draft, I’m leaving the country. I’ve got a 9 year old son and they ain’t gettin’ him!” He added that his more cynical friends are already convinced they have Osama in custody and are waiting to announce his capture him just before the election.

Oy. The October Surprise? I've long thought Bush would produce Osama in October too.
It was a lighthearted evening before the movie, people were in tears afterwards, the film is that powerful. Before it began, Neil spoke softly, asking each member of the audience to recruit five people to see the film and urge them to vote. So I’m honoring Neil’s request, for all of you out there who love and value the music of Neil Young and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, see “Fahrenheit 9/11.” The film shows that the powerful and greedy may have wealth on their side, but that in times of great crisis, it is the artist who will speak truth to power.

God bless America and God bless Neil Young.

Amen, brother.

UPDATE 9:17a.m.: Bill Zuma-Aiko piles on with a funny...
dub: "and get me that neil one guy"
dubaide: "thats young"
dub: "who is young?"
dubaide: "neil one"

Memo to George W. Bush: the Meek are ready!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home